Although the massacre took place 60 years ago, the wound will not heal for residents here and the then grief scene would be summoned whenever the it was recalled. The journey to claim justice for the tragic death of the 24 innocent rubber tappers is still going on even decades of years after the incident.
After the disappearance of the MCP, the forest cleared and turned into a fortress by the British colonial government has now become the largest flower and vegetable garden in Penang, exclusively supplying dahlias and roses. It grows also vegetables and fruits.
According to historical records, its origin can be traced back to 1867 when its founder led 400 people to start coal mining activities here. The influx of coal miners drove the growth of local population and the village gradually developed into a town.
The Old House Museum was built in 1880 and is the first three-storey building in Taiping. It houses numerous of rare and precious antiques. The building itself is a historical heritage and even after centuries of wind and rain erosion, it is still able to maintain its original appearance, particularly woodcarving doors and ancient screens.
Mangrove forests catch nutritious fine mud from upstream and nourish river creatures. Meanwhile, fishes, shrimps, crabs, shellfishes resting under the shade of mangroves absorb nutrients provided by decomposed leaves, increasing fishermen's catches.
Sungai Chua was well-known for its tin-mining industry. It has come into existence as early as 1807, while the first Chinese tin miners arrived here only around 1870. In end of 19th century, the rise of rubber industry had further promoted the prosperity of Sungai Chua, with most villagers engaged in rubber tapping and tin-mining activities.
The century-old "Mistress Lane" in Ipoh is a narrow alley hardly accessible to motor vehicles. It saw its glorious days during the heyday of the tin-mining industry but later went into oblivion as the tin mining industry began to decline.