GEORGE TOWN, Aug 31 (Bernama) -- Construction works on the Batu Maung Interchange section of the Second Penang Bridge has resumed after obtaining approval from the Department of Occupational Safety and Health and Penang Island Municipal Council.
Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bnd (JKSB) public relations and communications adviser Datuk Mohammad Salleh Rafie said works on Ramp 1 and Ramp 2 (Package 3A) of the interchange resumed over the last few weeks.
Works on the interchange at Lebuhraya Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu, which was under construction previously, was put on hold after the interchange ramp collapsed on June 7.
"We want to tell the public not to worry about safety as the matters are given full attention. The bridge is safe to use and it would be open to the public in October,," said Mohammad Salleh.
He was speaking to reporters after the testing and commissioning of street and decorative lightings of the Second Penang Bridge for the first time, in conjunction with the 56th Merdeka celebrations last night.
Mohammad Salleh said JKSB expected the contractor for package 3A to complete the works by Oct 8, and the roads at the package's vicinity would be opened, upon completion of the interchange.
He said the Second Penang Bridge was 97.5 per cent complete, adding the mega project by the federal government would spur the socio-economic growth and development, especially in the Northern Corridor Economic Region.
The RM4.5 billion Second Penang Bridge spanning 23.5km, with 16.9km over the sea, will link Batu Kawan on the mainland and Batu Maung on the island.
At the lightings event, concessionaire JKSB said about 105 street light poles were activated for the first time to show the project was on track, with the bridge lit up in blue and white.
The decorative lights at the main navigational span is unique as the colours of the lights will change according to festivities, similar to those of Incheon Bridge in South Korea.