Increase of essential supplies to Sabah: Ismail Sabri

KUALA LUMPUR, March 7 (Bernama) -- The government will increase the supply of food and daily necessities in Sabah, especially in Lahad Datu and Semporna following the Southern Philippines armed intruders crisis.

Domestic Trade, Cooperative and Consumerism Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the matter was decided at a cabinet meeting yesterday.

"Lahad Datu and Semporna residents need not worry about prices going up or lack of supplies. We're monitoring the demand for things in Sabah and receive a report everyday.

"We don't see much price increases. But stocks are a bit low because people are hoarding supplies due to all kinds of rumours," he told reporters after launching the Evaluating Intellectual Property Training Module, here today.

The order to increase supplies include food, diesel and petrol, he added.

The Lahad Datu intrusion started on Feb 12 and so far two VAT 69 police commandos and another six policemen were killed in cross fires, three days after the grace period to leave peacefully ended.

On Tuesday the government launched an air and land offensive named Ops Daulat to resolve the situation.