KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 2 (Bernama) -- The Cabinet has agreed not to set a price limit on the smart phones which can be purchased by youths between 21 and 30 earning less than RM3,000 with the M200 government rebate.
In a statement here today, the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said the matter was announced by Information Communication and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim after chairing the ministry's post cabinet meeting today.
The rebate is being implemented under the Youth Communication Package following Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's announcement in the Budget 2013, September last year.
The statement said MCMC was the coordinator of the scheme, which was on a 'first come first serve' basis, with Celcom, Clixster, DiGi, Maxis, Tune Talk, UMobile and YTL Communications appointed to implement it. MCMC also said all parties involved in the scheme were subjected to fair price terms.
In an earlier statement, MCMC announced that almost 5,500 eligible youths had registered to obtain the rebate on the first day of the scheme yesterday.
The online registration at komunikasibelia.skmm.gov.my is open between 7 am and 11 pm.
Further information may be obtained from the MCMC hotline 1800-88-4040, 8.30 am to 5.30 pm, Monday - Friday, except for public holidays.