CANBERRA, Sept 14 (Bernama) -- Chinese telecommunications company Huawei is still in the dark about why it was banned by the Australian government from taking part in the build-out of high-speed national broadband network (NBN), Huawei Australia chairman John Lord told a parliamentary committee Friday.
"With the NBN decision, I was summoned to the attorney-general's at short notice and we were advised of the decision that Huawei would not be participating in the NBN," Lord told the joint intelligence and security committee of inquiry into potential reforms of National Security Legislation hearing from Huawei Technologies.
"We were disappointed we were not given a chance to answer any concerns that ay have led to that decision," he said.
"The actual reasons that we were not included in the NBN we do not know."
Huawei is the world's largest manufacturer of telecommunications equipment after Swedish firm Ericsson.
Its Australian office opened in 2004 and acts as a hub for business across Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific.
Last year, the Australian Labour government banned the company from tendering for work on the 37.4-billion dollar NBN project, citing unspecified security concerns.