PUTRAJAYA, Sept 6 (Bernama) -- The Road Transport Department (JPJ) will send out Op Selamat 2012 summons notices to traffic offenders by the end of this month.
Director-general Datuk Solah Mat Hassan said the notices were being processed by the enforcement division of police headquarters and in the states.
"We have proof of offences being committed in the form of photographs and will be issuing summonses," he said when at JPJ Aidilfitri celebration here today.
Solah said that anyone who failed to comply with the summons notices could be blacklisted.
Those who receive them could deal with the nearest JPJ office although the offences were committed in other states.
Some 5,487 offences were recorded during Op Selamat from August 12-28 with highest number of 2,616 cases for failing to comply with traffic lights.
Others were cutting in (836), not wearing crash helmet (804), other offences (653), using mobile phone (232), not wearing seat belts (181), driving in emergency lane (116), crossing double line (41) and driving heavy vehicles in the fast lane (8).
Solah said that JPJ will continue to monitor black spots although the festive season is over.
The Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (Miros) has identified 246 black spots of which 96 were monitored by JPJ and 150 monitored by Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM).
Inspector General of Police, Tan Sri Ismail Omar announced that Op Selamat 2012 was a success as the number of accidents dropped 8.5 percent or 1,669 cases compared to the corresponding period last year.