KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 18 (Bernama) -- MIC President Datuk Seri G. Palanivel today expressed disappointment over the Public Services Commission's (PSC) recruitment statement of 21 graduates with first class honours, as no top Indian students were recruited.
In a statement here today, he said there were Indian graduates with First Class honours and Second Class upper degrees, some from government universities, but they were rejected for some reason.
Yesterday, PSC chairman Tan Sri Mahmood Adam announced that the PSC was going straight to local and foreign universities to look for top talent under a new meritocracy-based and fast-track recruitment system.
Through the system, the PSC offered 18 bumiputra students and three Chinese engineering graduates jobs and directed them to report for duty at the Works Ministry.
Palanivel who also Minister in the Prime Minister's Department said he had brought up the matter many times to the attention of the government and also to the attention of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak at the Barisan Nasional Supreme Council meeting recently.
He added that he had already submitted the rejected list of Indian candidates to the Prime Minister as requested.
"Competing and offering jobs before the private sector does, is a step in the right direction and this is a very proactive and good move but I want PSC to also pay particular attention to Indian students who have done well.
"It does not matter if they had missed out on First Class honours but if they have obtained a good second class upper degree, it should be good enough to warrant PSC's attention," he said.