KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 9 (Bernama) -- Five people were slightly injured in three explosions in the vicinity of the Jalan Duta Court Complex here today after the High Court delivered its verdict on Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim sodomy case.
The injured were brought to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital for treatment, said Kuala Lumpur police chief Datuk Mohmad Salleh.
He said the first explosion occurred in Jalan Khidmat Usaha, some 300 metres from Door A of the court at 10.20am followed by another at Jalan Dutamas, about 100 metres away at 10.45am and the third, some 150 metres from Door B of the court at 10.55aam.
The first explosion injured two men, including a lawyer in the face, the second one hurt three men while no injuries were reported in the third blast, Mohmad told a news conference here today.
The blasts prompted the police to order some 4,500 people who took part in the "Free Anwar 901" rally to disperse from the designated area for safety reason at 11.05am.
Mohmad said the explosives were home-made devices using ball bearings, batteries and wires based on fragments found at the scene of the first and third blasts.
"The second explosion occurred in the court's cafeteria and the explosives were placed near a motorcycle parking area and a food van. The motives and how the bombs were ignited are still being investigated," he said, adding that so far no arrests were made.
He said the blasts were investigated under the Explosives Act 1957 and urged the people not to be unduly worried.
Mohmad said the rally organised by Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) was under control and the police managed to prevent it from becoming chaotic and causing public disorder.
Meanwhile, a witness, Adnan Hassan, 31, said he was taken aback when the second explosion occurred as he was buying food and drinks 15 metres away.
"Thank God, the fragments didn't hit anybody close to the scene," he told reporters at the scene.
Azrul Abdullah, 25, who was selling snacks about 30 metres away, deplored those responsible behind the blast as it could maim unfortunate bystanders.
A witness, Abdullah Zawawi, 32, said the second explosion occurred as he was taking a picture of PKR supporters.
"Anyway, I managed to snap some pictures of the blast soon after it exploded in a dustbin. I could still see the sparks and smoke," he told Bernama.
Foodstall operator Mohd Tajudin Adam, 53, the second explosion, which was the most powerful of the blasts occurred near his stall as he was attending to customers.
"I immediately left my van and my stall. The blast was deafening and my ears are still ringing from it," he said.
Some "901 Free Anwar" protestors sold T-shirts on the campaign and taunted members of non-governmental organisations who protested against the rally.
Until yesterday, the police received 1,190 reports against the gathering.